- to understand the chain of food stakeholders and the food flows between them,
- to respond to problems or courses of action in order to identify new players, synergies and new pooling opportunities to help structure short circuits, understand the organisation of sectors, etc.
- to identify courses of action and support the community in their implementation
- growth in the region’s capacity to produce and process food,
- the structuring of the supply network for the consumer region,
- the promotion of "field to plate” practices with the least possible impact on natural resources,
- a guarantee that everyone has access to a beneficial, reasonably priced diet.
With the core strategic aim of promoting sustainable food production, the Metropolis signed a PAT (Projet Alimentaire Territorial - or local food project, a French initiative to reinforce local agriculture) The PAT identifies good practices implemented across the region with the primary goal of facilitating their dissemination
- Encourage short supply chains participating in the development of the local organic and conventional agriculture sector and, through this measure, the relaunching of food markets to support local producers.
- Integrate specific criteria such as the time between picking and reception of the product.
- Offer educational tours of food production sites in such a way as to maintain a local supply offer for public contracts.
- Give preference to food that is a produced by organic agriculture or which carries other quality certification (Red Label for example).
- Combat food waste.
I - Implementing metropolitan food governance;
The FRUGAL (Urban Forms and Food Governance) action research programme run with the University of Caen between 2016 and 2020 is proving to be a quality methodological support to this innovative community approach to food: researchers present the results of their research to elected officials each year and the participatory methodologies of communities at all levels (city, urban community, metropolitan cluster) allow for new partnerships between researchers and stakeholders.